EPCS Requirements in DrChrono
DrChrono EHR supports the prescription of controlled substances within its e-Rx feature. Before prescribing controlled substances, several requirements must be met. DrChrono does not support e-prescribing outside of the United States.
- Registration with the DEA to provide controlled substances and satisfy all prerequisites found here, as needed: Prerequisite Registrations Needed for EPCS.
- Identifying information to pass a Level of Assurance 3 (LOA 3) ID proofing check provided ID.me.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- DEA Number
- NPI Number
- Mobile Phone Number
- Satisfy the system requirements for DrChrono, found here: EPCS System Requirements
- You must also own a mobile device capable of installing the ID.me Authenticator app available on iOS and Android.
Note: You can only have one ID.me account, which can be used anywhere ID.me is integrated. An ID.me account is tied to you, not your organization or practice. You may already have an ID.me account from one of the following:
- A previous EHR company
- A government partner of ID.me such as the IRS
- Verifying for a discount through a retailer that uses ID.me
If you no longer have access to the email address associated with the ID.me account, you may follow the steps in this article or file a support ticket here.
- You must be on a paid Hippocrates, Apollo, or Apollo Plus DrChrono account with the EPCS add-on. Apollo Plus accounts have the EPCS feature included. To add EPCS to your account, contact your account manager or email email@example.com.
- You must be on a provider account. Nursing and scheduling staff members cannot prescribe controlled substances.
- You must have completed the e-Rx setup process prior to setting up EPCS. To set up e-Rx, please visit our guide found here: Setting Up eRx with ID.me.
- You must have 2-Factor Authentication enabled in your account. To enable 2-Factor Authentication, please visit our guide here: How do I set up 2-Factor Authentication in my account?
- You must have filled out all e-prescribing identifier information in your DrChrono account settings shown below.