DrChrono offers a great way to do all of your medical billing. A necessary step in submitting your electronic claims is having what's called a Payer ID. A Payer ID is a unique ID number that is assigned to an insurance company for the purpose of transmitting your claims electronically.
Each company has a specific number, and it must be entered correctly in the patient's chart in order to successfully transmit the claim to the clearinghouse and to the payer.
There are 2 ways of finding the Payer ID, one you do manually, and the other way will automatically populate when you enter it into the patient file.
To go to the Payer Search page click here, or follow the steps below to learn how to find the Payer ID.
To find the Payer ID Manually
1. Hover over the "Billing" tab and choose "Payer Search" under the Enrollments section.
2. For billing accounts, the clearinghouse you are set up with your account will be your default list. However, if you submit to Carisk Partners (fka iHCFA) or Jopari too, for example, you can choose those payer lists from the dropdown if needed. Type the name of the insurance company into the given field and click on Search.
You will then see the Payer ID to the left of the insurance name below the search field.
To find the Payer ID Automatically
1.Go to Patients > Patient List or enter a patient's name or chart ID in the Search field in the top right. (If you use Search, it will take you to the patient's chart and you can go to step 3).
2. Choose the patient for whom you would like to work with or you can enter the patient name or chart ID in the Patient Search field.
3. Select the Demographics option from the side menu, and then click on the Insurances tab.
4. Start typing the insurance company's name or payer ID into the Insurance Company field, and you will see a drop-down of all the payers that match what you are typing.
6. Select the payer you are looking for and click on Save Demographics at the bottom of the page to save your selection.