Applying a discount or adjusting part of your patient's invoice is easy with DrChrono!
Here are the steps to accomplish this task.
- Navigate to Billing > Live Claims Feed
- Pull up your patient's appointment by searching for it by name, claim id or date of service.
- Once you have found your patient's appointment, click on the date of service (if applicable), so you are on the appointment screen.
- Scroll down to where the CPTs and payments are listed and click on the blue plus sign on the right. It is the Add Transaction button.
- Once clicked, you should see an additional line open. It will be listed under any insurance/ERA payments posted.
- On this new line, you can update as needed to apply a patient discount.
- Posted Date - this will automatically default to the day you are entering the discount.
- Check Number - you can leave this blank since it does not apply
- Drop Down - you can use the drop down to specify what type of transaction this is.
- To adjust off a patient balance, you would want to select either Patient Bad Debt Writeoff or Provider Discount.
- Adjustment box (red) - this is where you type the dollar amount you would like to adjust. No negative signs are needed; just the whole dollar amount. (Examples - 25.00 or 5.00)
- Payer box (blue box just above) - this will default to the patient's insurance. If you are adjusting a patient balance, you should select N/A.
- Once the discount has been entered, click on Verify and Save and the system will adjust the amount you have requested.
- You can then update the appointment status to reflect the change (example - change to Paid in Full) if the adjustment you made clears the entire balance.