The EP that transitions or refers their patient to another setting of care or provider of care must (1) use CEHRT to create a summary of care record; and (2) electronically transmit such summary to a receiving provider for more than 10 percent of transitions of care and referrals.
Exclusion: Any EP who transfers a patient to another setting or refers a patient to another provider less than 100 times during the EHR reporting period.
In order to use direct messaging, you'll need to get it set up. If you're a member in a Practice Group please contact our support team to turn on this feature for you.
Once you have this feature activated, then you'll need to set up your direct messaging address and then verify your identity. If you're in a Practice Group only the first provider needs to verify their identity but everyone will need to set up their own direct messaging address.
So let's get started!
Setting up Direct Messaging
1. Go to Account>Settings
2.Click on the "General" tab and then scroll to the "Communications" section.
3. You'll see a green button to set up Direct Messaging, click on this.
4. You'll be asked to confirm some basic information. Choose your main office that you work from, it wont affect the direct messaging but we need this information.
5. Create your direct address. You can change your username and your domain if it's too long. We use your practice name as the default. Once you're happy with the direct address click "Next". Make sure you're happy with this address! As it can not be changed later on.
6. Next you'll need to validate your identity. You will need a phone present to do this as you'll be called with a code to enter at the end of the process.
7. Once you're verified you can start sending direct messages!
Sending Direct Messages
1. First you'll need to obtain your contact's direct messaging address and add it to your contact information.
2. Once you have the direct message address in your contacts, sending a direct message is just like sending a referral. There are two main things to remember:
a. If you're sending direct messages to meet Meaningful Use stats, make sure to select the "Clinical Summary" option or it wont count towards the stats.
b. At the bottom of the referral you will have an option to fax it or Direct Message it, just clicking on direct message will send the referral as a direct message and you're done!