EPCS Setup in the drchrono EHR
Because of the nature of controlled substances, drchrono has worked alongside with several security and regulatory boards to ensure that our ability to prescribe controlled substances electronically is bullet proof.
So you can imagine we have to go through a few additional steps to verify your identity. Don't worry though, we're here to help guide you through it.
Please note that if you are signing up for EPCS there is an additional $10 monthly fee added to your invoice. You must be a provider, staff members are unable to utilize EPCS functionality.
Verifying Personal Identity
You'll first need to install norton's security app, VIP Access, onto your iPhone or Android device. The reason for this is that every time you prescribe a controlled substance, you will need to enter a validation code to verify your identity. This extra level of security protects all of our users.
Please note, you can not use the same device that you're sending controlled substance prescriptions from that you're also receiving the Norton security code from. It needs to be two different devices.
1. To get started go to Account > Account Settings > eRx info
2. Click on "Register to use EPCS"
Please note that clicking on this means that you agree to the terms and conditions listed above.
3. You will be sent an email which will send an email with a confirmation link. This is the email linked to your drchrono account. Click this link to get started
4. Now you will need to verify your identity.
5. The page below means your were successful! Now you'll need to have your phone nearby as once you click "Allow" on this page, you'll be receiving a verification code that you need to enter. The code will be texted to the number used in your verification process.
6. You'll then be prompted to download the Norton VIP mobile app on your device. You will need to install this app so that you can generate a unique token with every controlled substance prescribed electronically.
1. If you have additional staff using drchrono or a practice group, you'll need at least two colleagues to confirm your identity. To do this go to Account > Account Settings > eRx info and scroll to the bottom.
2. Select two accounts that you wish to have confirm your identity from the list. The DEA mandates that if at least one provider within your practice group has gone through the ID proofing process, at least one of them must confirm your identity. Click "Update Entire Profile" to send out confirmation requests.
3. Your colleagues will need to log into their accounts and go to their message center to open the confirmation request message.
4. If your colleague has gone over the ID proofing process, they will need to enter the authorization code in their VIP Access app. If your colleague is a staff member or a provider who is not registered to use EPCS, they will not need to do this step. To continue, select 'Confirm Identity'.
5. Once both of your choices do this, you're done with the verification process!
Once you have completed these steps, a ticket is created in drchrono to activate your features. There may be a bit of a delay as we process the information but as soon as we do we will notify you by your account email to let you know you're ready to prescribe.
Once you're ready to prescribe controlled substances check out this article as it's a little different to typical eRx.