When your patient is signed up with OnPatient, you have the ability to send messages in a secure and HIPAA compliant fashion. Email is not a HIPAA compliant channel to share confidential patient information so when you do need to share details regarding your patient's health, the message center is the best way to share sensitive information. Your messages will be viewable in the OnPatient portal where the patient may send a response or download any attachments you may have sent in the message.
There are two paths you can take to send a patient message:
- From the patient chart
- From the message center
Sending a Message from the Chart
1. To send a message to your patient open their chart and go to the Communications section.
2. Click the Send Message button.
3. Enter a Subject, compose your Message, add any Attachments (if necessary), and click Send Message.
Sending a Message from the Message Center
1. Navigate to the message center by clicking on the () icon.
2. Click on Patient Messages on the left. Then click Send Message.
3. Click on the Recently Seen Patient's name or Search for a Patient.
4. Enter a Subject, compose your Message, add any Attachments (if necessary), and click Send Message.
Messaging for the Patient
1. The patient will receive a notification that they have a message from their provider.
2. In OnPatient under Messages, patients can view messages or send a message to their provider.
3. Once in a message, patients can click Reply to respond to the message from their provider.