Using the Patient Payments Tool in the drchrono EHR
Patient Payments is your management portal for all of your non-insurance patient payments in the drchrono EHR. The Patient Payments tool allows you to execute the following functions:
- View patients with an outstanding balance
- View patients with a balance within a certain dollar range
- View patients with unallocated payment
- View payment allocations
- Add new patient payments
- View the patient payment log
- View payments associated to appointments
- View statements and history of sent statements
- Generate and/or print receipts
- Export payment information to spreadsheet
- Patient Payments: Payments coming in directly from the patient, in the form of credit, debit, check, cash, EFT, etc. These payments are non-insurance payments and include applications such as copays, pre-payments, or a direct payment toward an outstanding balance.
- Unallocated amounts (or payments): An amount that was received but have not been applied toward a product or service. In accounting, this is conceptualized as deferred (unearned) revenue.
- Balance: The net amount due or owed on a single account. A positive balance in patient payments indicates an amount the patient owes.
- Line items: A single contributor to an appointment's balance. This includes charges, payments, refunds, discounts, etc.
Familiarizing Yourself with the Patient Payments Tool
To access the Patient Payments tool, mouse over 'Billing' in your navigation bar and select 'Patient Payments'.
Within the patient payments tool, there are two primary tabs: 'Patients with Balance' and 'Patient Payments'. The 'Patients with Balance' tab focuses on searching for balances and the 'Patient Payments' tab focuses on individual patients' payments.
In the 'Patients with Balance' tab, you have the option of filtering by balance or by unallocated payment. If a patient pre-pays for appointments and you would like to associate this unallocated sum to appointments, you may select 'Auto Fill' next to an appointment to settle a balance by equivalently decreasing the unallocated payment sum of the patient. This feature will only work if there is an unallocated payment.
In the Patient Payments tab, payments associated with a specific patient can be tracked. Begin by searching for a patient. If you use a Square register or mobile credit card reader (free on Square website), those payments will automatically be recorded here when deposited to your account. You may also manually add patient payments here.
In the 'Allocated Payment & Balance' tab, the payment breakdown is displayed. With each appointment, the provider, billing code, allowed amount, patient responsible amount, patient payment, and balance are available for you to review.
In the 'Payment Log' tab, the history of all your payment activities is recorded for you to review.
In the 'Statements' tab, you are able to view the history of the statements sent to your patients. You may also view as a PDF the exact copy of the statement sent to the patient.