DrChrono has released a refreshed and revamped Patient Payments system. By increasing visibility and including more tools at your disposal, you are equipped with higher control while utilizing this feature.
Let's see how it works!
Please hover your cursor over the Billing tab and select Patient Payments (beta). Once you're on that screen, you'll notice it looks quite different:
By default, Simple and Condensed views will both be set to On. This provides you with the cleanest, most straightforward view possible. To view more in-depth information, switch those views to Off.
To get started, please select a patient by entering their name in the search box on the top left. You can also choose a date range, and/or filter using a balance ($) filter. Please click the Update button to populate the information:
You'll notice that we're currently utilizing the Payments tab of this screen. To export any info from the screen, please select which lines you'd like, or simply click the checkbox at the top to select all:
Clicking the option "Print Selected Receipts" will generate a printable pdf that can be given to patients as confirmation of their payment:
Clicking Export to CSV will download the list directly in your Message Center.
To add a payment, simply click the green + Add button:
From the popup menu titled New Cash, please fill out the information and click Add:
- Payment Date - The date you are posting the payment
- Appointment - You can use the drop down to assign the payment to a specific appointment, or if you leave it blank the payment will be added to the patient's unallocated payment section to be used at a future time/future visit.
- Line Item - If you select a specific appointment to apply the payment, you can specify which line item (CPT/HCPCS/Custom Code) that the payment should be applied to. Any charges on the specific appointment will show in the drop down.
- Provider - this line designates the provider for the specific payment. It can be left blank if you prefer.
- Payment Method - this is to identify the type of payment (cash, check, etc)
- Type - this is to specify the type of payment.
- Credit - payment on the account
- Refund - an amount is being refunded to the patient
- Correction - used to correct a previous posting error
- Copay/Coinsurance - used to identify the payment as a copay/coinsurance
- Other - used for situations not specifically mentioned above
- Notes - this section is used to document check/money order number or any other details about the payment that could be useful later. Information listed here can come in handy if any research is needed in the future regarding the payment.
To Move an amount (either from unallocated or unassociated with an appointment or between appointments), please click on the round button, sometimes referred to as a radio button, next to the Receipt button towards the right side of the screen.
And fill out the information on the pop-up Move Cash window and click Move.
The Line Items tab will allow you to fill line items:
Clicking on the Fill button toward the right side of the screen will populate a pop-up window where you are able to select and apply unallocated money towards multiple appointments. Select the items you would like by clicking in the box to the right. When you are done, just click Apply.
The Logs tab provides a full overview of the events associated with that patient's billing. Each time a payment is moved, logged, etc., you'll find it here:
Clicking on any blue appointment date will bring you to the appointment detail screen so you can see additional details:
The Statements tab provides an additional view showing total paid, balance and amount in the patient's unallocated fund:
The Balance tab provides greater ability to narrow down your search results, as well as export capabilities. You can search for patients with unallocated amounts and appointment balances between a range that you select. Once you have identified the patients, you can export the information into a report by clicking on Export to File. Once generated, the report will be available in your message center.