Registering for eRx is an easy process that will allow you to send electronic prescriptions for your patients. DrChrono has partnered with ID.me to complete the identity verification process. To start prescribing in DrChrono, you can follow these steps to register for eRx.
Important Notes about Registering for eRx
- The setup process for eRx is also a pre-requisite for EPCS (electronic prescription of controlled substances). You must be on a paid plan type to have the option to e-prescribe medications.
- It is also important to note that the eRx identity verification process must be completed on the web version of DrChrono. While your iOS or Android device will be involved in the process, DrChrono's EHR web app is required from the beginning to the completion of the process.
- As a best practice, we recommend that you set aside some uninterrupted time to complete the registration process.
- If you are using another EHR to send prescriptions (new and refills), registering for eRx in DrChrono will disable refills with your previous vendor.
- If you are using another EHR to send prescriptions (new and refills), registering for eRx in DrChrono will disable refills with your previous vendor if you are using the same address.
|System||Refills requests transferred to one EHR because of the same address||Refill requests not transferred to one EHR because addresses are different|
123 Fake Street
Anytown, ST 12345
123 Fake Street
Anytown, ST 12345
123 Fake Street
Anytown, ST 12345
456 False Ave
Anytown, ST 54321
Navigating to the eRx Setup Portal
1. To begin the eRx setup process, go to Account in your DrChrono navigation bar and select Account Settings.
2. Navigate to the eRx Info tab and click on the Verify with ID.me button.
- A previous EHR company
- A government partner of ID.me such as the IRS
- Verifying for a discount through a retailer that uses ID.me
3. Enter the office information in the Additional eRx Info Required (all fields are required) and click Next.
4. Next you will be prompted to sign in to ID.Me. You can sign in with: Google, Facebook or LinkedIn Or Create an ID.me account. It is recommended to use your personal email address rather than a work email address, as personal email addresses are less likely to change over time.
|5. You will be given the option to secure your account with a Push Notification the Code Generator through the ID.me Authenticator app which can be downloaded to your tablet or smartphone. We will look at the Push Notification.|
|6. Enter your number in the space provided and click Continue.|
7. You will receive a link to download the application via email or text. Click on this link.
|8. Tap Yes to approve the sign-in.|
|9. You will receive a confirmation message. Click Continue.|
The next steps involve verifying your identity.
|10. Enter the code generated on your device to complete your login.|
|11. Select your verification for the photo ID you would like to upload. You have the option of taking a picture of the photo ID you would like to use for example a state-issued driver’s license or state ID, a passport, or a passport card.|
|12. Using your device, take photos of your government ID or, if you already have photos of your government ID on your device, you can choose to upload them.|
|13. Next, you will be prompted to take a selfie with your device's camera or your webcam. For more information see our selfie FAQ.|
|14. After taking your selfie, enter your Social Security Number to confirm your identity.|
|15. Ensure that all of your information is complete and correct. Check the box to attest that the information is correct and to accept the use of the Fair Credit Reporting Act to verify your identity.|
|16. Select Allow to authorize ID.me to share your verified identity with DrChrono in order to e-prescribe.|
17. Next, click Begin to the medical identity verification process.
18. Enter your individual NPI number and Continue.
Note: ID.me includes your first name, middle name/initial, and last name as part of the NPI verification process.
19. Confirm the information and Continue.
20. Once you have been verified, ID.me will send your information to DrChrono to finish the process. Click Allow.
Note: Clicking Deny will not complete the process and you will not be able to prescribe.
21. After you have answered and completed the process, your information will be verified and synced with Surescripts. The processing time for your request may take 1-3 business days. When your request is processed, you will have completed the eRx setup and be able to e-prescribe from DrChrono.
Do you write prescriptions for controlled substances? If so, after you have completed the eRx registration, you can move on to register for EPCS here.
For support and information on ID.me, please visit ID.me's support page.
Why does ID.me use facial recognition (selfie)?
For specific partners such as government and healthcare organizations, we need to comply with the federal standards for identity verification established by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) 800-63-3. The selfie step is related to a mandatory requirement in the NIST standards for verifying evidence for use in unsupervised remote identity verification at IAL2 and supervised identity verification.
ID.me will not sell, rent, or trade your Personal Information. ID.me will only transfer your Personal Information at your request, and with your consent, for use by third parties to verify your identity, or as required for the prevention of fraud or otherwise permitted by law.
All Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is encrypted using a FIPS 140-2 approved Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) algorithm with 256-bit key sizes and dynamic key rotation.ID.me is hosted within FedRAMP-authorized AWS in an isolated Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) using independently-verified International Standardization Organization (ISO) 27001/27002, Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements (SSAE)-16 / Payment Card Industry (PCI) / Service Organization Controls (SOC) 1 and SOC2 Type II certified Tier-III data centers. The data center’s physical and environmental security includes industry-leading network hardening and active monitoring, biometric access control, digital security video surveillance, and 24/365 on-site security staff. The Kantara Initiative and FICAM accreditations require ID.me to pass ongoing annual on-site third-party security and data privacy audits for certification.
For more information see ID.me's article here.