DrChrono has partnered with ID.me to provide registration and identity verification for eRx and EPCS registration. Completing the eRx registration process is a prerequisite for EPCS registration.
As a best practice, we recommend that you set aside some uninterrupted time to complete the registration process.
It is also important to note that the EPCS identity verification process must be completed on the web version of DrChrono. While your iOS or Android device will be involved in the process, DrChrono's EHR web app is required from the beginning to the completion of the process.
Navigating to the eRx Setup Portal
1. To begin the eRx setup process, go to Account in your DrChrono navigation bar and select Account Settings.
2. Navigate to the eRx Info tab and click on the Verify with ID.me button.
- A previous EHR company
- A government partner of ID.me such as the IRS
- Verifying for a discount through a retailer that uses ID.me
If you no longer have access to the email address associated with the ID.me account, you may follow the steps in this article or file a support ticket here.
3. You will need to sign into ID.me using your email and password and will need to approve the sign-in from the ID.me Authenticator app. Tap Yes on the app to proceed.
4. Click Begin to start the EPCS registration process.
5. Enter your individual NPI and DEA numbers along with the corresponding state. Click Continue when finished. Note: ID.me includes your first name, middle name/initial, and last name as part of the NPI verification process.
6. Confirm the information and Continue.
7. Once you have been verified, ID.me will send your information to DrChrono to finish the process. Click Allow.
8. After returning to DrChrono, you will need to complete two more tasks.
- Select any 2 people, staff members, or providers. Check the box next to their names and click Update Entire Profile. Those selected will then log in to their individual DrChrono accounts and go to the message center. They will open the invitation assigned to them to complete the process. See the note below for an example.
- Click Select as the primary device next to the device used for registration. For information on changing a device or adding additional devices see our article here.
Note: When the message is received in the message center to confirm the identity of the provider, click on the Confirmation Page link.
Check the box and click Confirm Identity.
9. When both of your choices have confirmed your identity, you're done with the verification process!
Once you have completed these steps, a ticket is created in DrChrono to activate your EPCS feature. This process usually takes 1-3 business days. As soon as the process is completed we will notify you through the email registered to your DrChrono account to let you know you're ready to e-prescribe controlled substances.
Please refer to this article for information on how to prescribe controlled substances:
For support and information on ID.me, please visit ID.me's support page.