There are 2 different ways to post a patient payment in DrChrono:
- From the Patient Payments (Beta) section
- From the Patient's appointment window
The process to post a payment in each of these 2 areas is very similar. Which you use is going to depend on your function and which part of the system you are in when you need to post the payment. Each will accomplish the same goal. Detailed instructions for each are listed below, but as you navigate through them, you will see that the screens will look the same and function in the same way.
Posting from the Patient Payments (Beta) section
Navigate to Billing > Patient Payments (Beta) and follow the steps below:
1. Click on the Payments tab and enter the patient name in the respective field and click on Update.
2. Select the patient and their patient payment tab will open. It will display all payments received, along with any unallocated money the patient currently has on their account.
3. To add a payment, click on the green + Add button
4. A New Cash window will open so you can enter the payment details.
- Payment Date - The date you are posting the payment
- Appointment - You can use the drop-down to assign the payment to a specific appointment, or if you leave it blank the payment will be added to the patient's unallocated payment section to be used at a future time/future visit.
- Line Item - If you select a specific appointment to apply for the payment, you can specify which line item (CPT/HCPCS/Custom Code) that the payment should be applied to. Any charges on the specific appointment will show in the drop-down.
- Provider - this line designates the provider for the specific payment. It can be left blank if you prefer.
- Payment Method - this is to identify the type of payment (cash, check, etc)
- Type - this is to specify the type of payment.
- Credit - a payment on the account
- Refund - an amount is being refunded to the patient
- Correction - used to correct a previous posting error
- Copay/Coinsurance - used to identify the payment as a copay/coinsurance
- Other - used for situations not specifically mentioned above
- Notes - This section is used to document the check/money order number or any other details about the payment that could be useful later. The information listed here can come in handy if any research is needed in the future regarding the payment.
5. Enter the payment details and click on the blue Add button.
6. The payment will now be visible on the patient's account. If it is not applied to a specific appointment, it will show as unallocated (marked in red). If it is attached to a particular appointment and/or line item, the information will show in the spots marked by the blue boxes.
- You can also use the red/gray bubbles as a visual to see if a patient's payment is unallocated or fully allocated. The black arrow just to the left of the red/gray bubble will expand and show you additional details regarding how the payment was applied. This is especially useful when the payment has been applied to multiple appointments. The number within the red/gray bubble will tell you the number of appointments the particular payment was applied to.
Posting from the Patient Appointment window
Posting a patient payment from this screen will be very convenient when accepting copays and other payments for that date's services while checking the patient in for their appointment.
1. From the appointment window, select the Billing tab.
2. Click on the blue + on the Patient Payment row.
3. A New Cash window will open to allow you to enter the payment details. Once entered, click on Add.
Viola! You just added a payment to the patient's appointment!