If a patient does not show for an appointment and your office has a policy of charging if not cancelled within a certain time-frame, you are able to bill the patient a fee for that missed visit by using custom codes.
First, you want to set up the custom code. Navigate to Billing > New Custom Procedure.
Once there, you will have the ability to enter a custom procedure to bill for your no-show appointments.
- At a minimum, you will want to add the Code and Price.
- Code: This will be what you use to look up and enter the charge. The field will not accept spaces, but you could use something like no.show, using a period instead of a space.
- Price: This will be the charge for not cancelling the appointment within the required amount of time.
Once the code is established, you can begin assigning it to your no-show appointments. As a general rule, no-show appointments do not show in your Live Claims Feed if they do not have a charge. However, you can add the no-show custom code from the appointment window and the appointment will then show in your Live Claims Feed and will appear on patient statements.
- From the appointment window, first mark the appointment status as no-show.
- Then, navigate to the Billing tab.
- Scroll down to the Custom Code section.
- In the Find Custom Procedure codes section, type the name you assigned to your no-show appointment charge.
- Once selected, it will populate the price that was assigned when it was created.
- Just click on Save and the charge will be assigned to the appointment.
- Now the appointment and charge will be visible under your Live Claims Feed and will appear on a patient statement.