Consent forms can be uploaded to your DrChrono account for easy association to appointments or for staff accessibility and storage. Our consent form interface is designed to be easily integrated into your practice and can streamline obtaining your patients' consent through the OnPatient or the iPad Check-In App. This is a quick overview to help get you started.
Accessing the Consent Form Page
Go to Patients > Consent Forms.
Upon clicking the the 'Consent Forms' link, a page similar to the example will be displayed. Every DrChrono account comes with a three-page HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Data Use Agreement by default. This document explains the data usage and rights associated with laws under HIPAA.
Adding a Consent Form
To add a consent form, scroll to the bottom of the consent form page and fill out the following section. Add a title, select the relevant check boxes, and then click Choose File to browse for the corresponding form. Once you have the selected file, click Upload Document.
Explanation of Check Boxes (Also may be viewed when mousing over the information symbol ):
- Require patient to agree: Require that a patient must sign the consent form in order to check in for an appointment when using OnPatient or the DrChrono iPad Check-In App.
- Assign by default on new appointments: On all new appointments the consent form will automatically be attached.
Note: DrChrono currently only supports .pdf file types for form uploads. To convert your document to PDF, open your document in a word processor (Microsoft Word, Pages, LibreOffice) and select save as PDF in the menu.
From the Patient Perspective
If you elect to check the 'Require patient to agree' box, your patient will go through the following process while checking in at your office. For more in-depth information, visit our page on onboarding a patient through onpatient or onboarding a patient through the iPad Check-In App.
Signing consent while onboarding through OnPatient:
1. While using OnPatient, a patient must read through the consent form before signing.
2. After the document is marked as read, the patient may sign and finish the check in process.
Signing consent while onboarding through the DrChrono iPad Check-In App:
1. The patient will be required to read and sign all mandatory consent forms before being allowed to check in.
2. The patient may view and sign the consent forms by tapping on of the required forms.
For more information on Consent forms, see our articles: