Within DrChrono, you have a couple of options to consider for collecting patient balances. They include in-house payments, the OnPatient patient portal, and integrated payment processors. This article will explain each so you can utilize the ones that fit into your workflow and optimize your office's efficiency.
- View patients with an outstanding balance
- View patients with a balance within a certain dollar range
- View patients with unallocated payment
- View payment allocations
- Add new patient payments
- View the patient payment log
- View payments associated with appointments
- View statements and history of sent statements
- Generate and/or print receipts
- Export payment information to a spreadsheet
In-office payment processing
To access the Patient Payments tool, mouse over Billing in your navigation bar and select Patient Payments 2.0.
Within the patient payments tool, there are five primary tabs: Payments, Line Items, Logs, Statements, and Balance. Click on the title below for additional information.
- Payments - This is where you can see a patient's appointment balance, payments made, unallocated payments, and current patient responsibility amounts.
- Line Items - This tab will allow you to see line item detail (Date of Service and CPT/HCPCS/Custom Code) as well as the allowed amount, patient responsibility, patient payments made, any pending insurance balance, and the patient's balance.
- Logs - This tab will allow you to see a history of payments posted, and moved on the patient's account. This could be helpful in researching a payment or issue.
- Statements - This tab will allow you to see what statements have been generated and sent to the patient, as well as give you the option to view/print the statement.
- Balance - This tab will allow you to search for patients with an appointment balance/patient responsibility or unallocated amount between the parameters that you select.
OnPatient offers the ability to send statements and collect payments. Below are some articles that cover your options for payments. See our article on OnPatient Basics for a quick look at the patient portal.
- Enabling Patient Payments in OnPatient
- Automatically Sending Statements to OnPatient
- Adding a Credit or Debit Card in OnPatient (must be connected to a payment partner to use)
Integrated Payment Partners
DrChrono is integrated with payment processors that allow you to process credit cards for patient payments. The main payment processors that integrate with DrChrono are:
Square - (Recommended) Square can be set up by going to Account > Account Settings > Patient Payments.
- Connecting Square to your Account
- Processing Payments Through Square on the Web
- Processing Payments on the iPad EHR App